Joint Declaration on Open Government for the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
As participants in the Open Government Partnership, committed to the principles enshrined in the Open Government Declaration, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the United Nations Convention Against Corruption and other relevant international instruments related to efective and inclusive institutions and human rights, we:
Recognize the importance of harnessing our eforts and championing the principles of transparency and open government as crucial tools for ensuring the efective implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Acknowledge this is an ambitious global plan of action for achieving inclusive sustainable development in its economic, political, social and environmental dimensions, in a balanced and integrated manner to end poverty and combat inequality within and among countries.
Welcome the inclusion in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development of goals and targets related to transparency, accountability, integrity and citizen participation. They are essential for promoting the rule of law, reducing corruption, and promoting public access to information and the development of efective and accountable institutions.
Applaud the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development for recognizing that peaceful and inclusive societies are vital components of sustainable development.
Value and welcome the participation of civil society organizations in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Promote the Open Government Partnership as a platform for voluntary cooperation and peer exchange and learning. The experience of its participating governments and civil society organizations can be drawn on to encourage transparent, accountable, participatory, and technology-enabled implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Together, we declare our commitment to:
1. Promote the rule of law consistent with international standards at the national, regional and international level through transparency, openness, accountability, access to justice and efective and inclusive institutions. This is consistent with Goal 16 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
2. Promote public access to timely and disaggregated information and open data on government activities related to the implementation and financing of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, in line with national legislation and international commitments. We support development of the International Open Data Charter and intend to explore its implementation in our countries.
3. Support citizen participation in the implementation of all the goals and targets in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including decision-making, policy formulation, follow up and evaluation processes.
4. Uphold the principles of open government, as described in the Open Government Declaration, when defining international, regional and national indicators for measuring the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, taking into account national circumstances and development priorities. We will identify and share lessons learned and good practices to strengthen country capacity for implementation.
5. Use our Open Government Partnership National Action Plans to adopt commitments that serve as efective tools to promote transparent and accountable implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.